Being wierd, Being vintage

I went out to my car to load something into it and coming down the sidewalk was a little boy about 9 years old.  Dressed in jeans, a helmet, wearing knee pads and carrying black roller blades.  I smiled and he smiled back.  I said" Gee you  look ready for fun!"  He smiled a bit weary and said ,"Uh, I'm taking these to my friend over there so we can play."   I looked at him and smiled.  "That can be alot of fun", I said.  "When I was your age I skated too", I explained.  He asked, "Like these? Were they black?"  I laughed out loud and proceeded to explain that my skates had a skate key that made them open up and then they clamped on my shoe.  I tried to describe the roller skates of my childhood days ending with telling him about my skating experience up two steep streets and then down the other nice sidewalk hills to start over again right next to Lake michigan.  He looked at me puzzled and  Quickly said, " That's wierd!  Sounds really old.  I have to go. Thats just wierd! Bye."  Off he went to roller blade and I stood there wondering when I got to be so strange and old.  Sometimes being vintage is not a good thing.  On the other hand someday he may remember that wierd gray haired lady who told him about how she skated with keys and decide to collect vintage roller skates!

1 comment: